Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Pole Fitness for Jesus"

This morning on my ride into work I heard a story on the radio about a class in Houston, TX that advertises as "Pole Fitness for Jesus." I couldn't help but turn it up and do a little more research when I got into the office. I know I'm still doing the photo challenge posts, but this was too good to pass up.

So the story is that in Houston, TX ( a place I enjoy visiting) a woman who owns a pole dancing studio called The Best Shape of your Life is offering a class she calls "Pole Fitness for Jesus."
The class is held the second Sunday of each month and the women get together to pole dance to Christian music. They say the class is spiritual, not sexual. But, I have a hard time believing that a pole and dancing together lead to something that is spiritual and not sexual.

I found an article online where the instructor, Crystal Dean, defends the idea against critics. She say, and I quote, "people who want to sit there and judge it, you know, like well that is sacrilegious, that in my opinion doesn't make you a good Christian when you judge other people." The class is free to any woman who brings in a church pamphlet and Dean says she doesn't charge because she doesn't want to make a profit on God's day.

My opinion would be that this is taking it a little far. I am all about learning to pole dance as exercise or something to spice things up a bit, but I think having Third Day or Jars of Clay playing in the background is odd. Not to mention that I don't think God had any intention of music used to worship and praise him to also be used as the backdrop for a pole dancing class. However, to each their own.

A clip from the Fox News station in Houston, TX: HERE

1 comment:

Mrs. Werginz said...

This is crazy! I agree abotu listenign tot hat music while dancing would be very strange!